HTML Generator Sample Page

View Active Topics

Trapped Water

Questions and Improvements on Key West Boats Hulls, Parts, Hardware and Structural Components

Trapped Water

PostPosted by handi2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Hello,

I am on my second 1720 and this one is a 2005. The previous owner had a portable seat base plate mounted in front on the bilge access as shown below. This area is holding water and not draining into the bilge thru the boats hull drain. Even drilling another hole in the bilge forward bulkhead has not drained any water.

The gas tank coffin is also holding water and we continue to vacuum out water. The water sits on top and around the Poly tank.

Has anyone else seen or had this problem?

Thanks

handi2

Re: Trapped Water

PostPosted by Cracka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:10 pm

G'day Handi,

Sorry I can't be of any assistance on your issue here....

Am I right to recall I read something that your 1720 got trashed, if so is this the replacement?

Do you have much to do to it?

Looking at the fixing pattern for your portable seat base there, I have a leaning post base fitted to mine as well just forward of the front storage locker. I tried to remove it the other day but it has been fixed down with 5200 I think, I can't even budge it. The bottom of the tube has a nut on it but is left open so any water on the top (if the seat post is not in place) goes directly into the storage area below which in my case is just a nuisance as it has a drain, but yours is to your foamed area is the bottom of your tube open as well.

In my 1520 I have 2 conduits running along the keel (Glassed in) which drain into the bilge area, 1 of those (portside) picks up water from the fuel tank compartment and also the compartment under the console. The other 1 drains the anchor locker. Is yours this way? Could it be blocked? But no doubt you would have checked it, anyhow, I just thought I'd mention it just in case.
Cracka

PostPosted by handi2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I was hoping Tom or any of the other moderators would chime in.

The anchor locker and forward storage compartment are draining. I was able to drill further thru the bulkhead in the bilge compartment and drain some water from the hull. The water had came in from the hole the previous owner drilled for his Swivel-Eze seat base.

There is still water around the fuel tank. We can tilt the boat down and vacuum out water then wait and vacuum more. There must be allot of water in the hull. It's too wet and cold outside for it to evaporate.
handi2

PostPosted by Tom Marlowe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am

Handi, the seat base being where it is creates a problem for drainage but it may not be the only problem here. When we install items here at the plant that will allow water to enter a foam compartment there is a drain installed and a tube run through the foam to the bilge. This wasn't done on the seat base you have but then we didn't install that at the plant either. Behind the fuel tank area there is an opening between bulk heads that is foam filled, and that's what you are seeing with the base removed. It's possible to get some water in there obviously, and with no drain in that box it takes a while for the water to work its way through the foam and to the bilge. Of course freezing temperatures would stop the progress altogether until things thaw. Water in the fuel tank compartment should find its way out unless the drain is clogged by foam or trash. There really isn't much room in there around the tank though to hold water.

Please send all inquiries to tom@keywestboats.com
Tom Marlowe
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

PostPosted by handi2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Tom,

I hate it when people don't know what they are doing..!! If that was a glassed over wooden deck it would be ruined and I have fixed enough of them.

People please caulk and waterproof any fastener anywhere on your boat...!!

I think we are getting all the water out now and this summer it will definately evaporate when we open everything up.

I got both batteries up front now so we can clean up all the wires in the rear compertment.

I change the engine anodes on the 2005 F90 and they were super clean. The engines has been flushed well by the previous owner.

Keith
handi2

PostPosted by handi2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Tom,

We are still vacuuming water out of the fuel tank area. The poly tank has a hole molded into it that seams to go all the way thru.

How can I access the drain for the tank coffin? Is it tied into the main hull drain?
handi2

PostPosted by NorthEast4 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi all,

Just bringing handi's question back to the top regarding trapped water in fuel coffin. I think I'm taking on water through one of the live well hoses and it recently allowed fuel to get into my fuel tank coffin which is now trapped. I saw Tom mention that a coffin drain might be clogged, but how do I access that drain if one exists?

Thanks
NorthEast4

Return to Repairs, Rebuilds, and Customizations