HTML Generator Sample Page

View Active Topics

Wiring gremlins

Questions and Improvements on Key West Boats Hulls, Parts, Hardware and Structural Components

Wiring gremlins

PostPosted by Rojorin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am

I purchased a 2009 176CC Sportsman and I am trying to get a wiring diagram as the bilge pump only works on the switch currently (no auto), the trim gauge is not working, the 3 way light switch only operates sometime, horn button not working (horn still works when power supplied) and the RPM gauge light doesn’t come on. Other than these very minor electrical issues that I believe can be fixed easily I absolutely love the boat, great build and quality and I have owned, Larsons, Wellcrafts and Carolina Skiffs in the past, which don’t compare to the Key West’s quality.

Last question is I need to purchase some gelcoat as it looks like a fishing weight or anchor chipped the gelcoat in a few places. Can you recommend where I can purchase matching gelcoat and the exact color?
2009 176CC Sportman w/ 115HP Mercury Optimax
Rojorin

Re: Wiring gremlins

PostPosted by Tom Marlowe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 pm

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Gel-Coat-Rep ... _id.246645

Follow this link for the gel coat repair. They have colors for all the major builders.

For the electrical gremlins your best bet is most likely the post here titled "how do I fix this?" A wiring diagram for the 176 is available on the Key West web site on the 176CC page, but it's little help in situations like these. Keep in mind you have two major harnesses and electrical systems in the boat. One is for the engine, and the other for the boat. These problems you describe may involve one of the other. For instance, the trim gauge gets power from the engine harness, and the signal comes from a sender on the engine. None of that is fed through the boat harness, but the tachometer light is tied into the boat's nav light system in most cases. Most, but not all. There are times when the light in an engine instrument is activated by the key switch. There are differing schools of thought as to which is best, but either way is "right" for some valid reason. The most common reason that light quits working though is a burned out bulb. Check that first.

Please send all inquiries to tom@keywestboats.com
Tom Marlowe
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

PostPosted by Rojorin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks Tom this info is very helpful. I downloaded the wiring diagram and was able to solve the bilge issue, the horn and trim gauge issues, all are now working. Bulb is out in the RPM gauge but they don't seem to make a replacement bulb for these Quicksilver Gauges.

Got to order a new 3 way switch and some gelcoat next.

Thanks again!
2009 176CC Sportman w/ 115HP Mercury Optimax
Rojorin

PostPosted by Offshore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:53 pm

My 239 did the same thing. Had it to the shop all the time to fix one thing or the other. Changed bilges, radio, VHF and other items. After the warranty was over I had to start paying to get things fixed so I finally started doing the work myself and found the problem. The screws on the negative buzz bar was lose. As it would vibrate things would start and stop working. Easy fix but took over a year and 10 trips to dealer to figure it out. Good luck.
2015 239 FS 250 Yamaha
Offshore

Return to Repairs, Rebuilds, and Customizations