HTML Generator Sample Page

View Active Topics

Where to find hardware for my Key West?

Questions and Improvements on Key West Boats Hulls, Parts, Hardware and Structural Components

Where to find hardware for my Key West?

PostPosted by Tom Marlowe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Some of the most common inquiries we get at the plant are from boat owners simply wanting to DIY, but not knowing where to find what they need. This goes for dealers as well. Many consumers and dealers assume that parts for a Key West Boats must come from the factory. Not really, and in most cases there are many or even countless sources for what you need.

My first inquiry today for instance was for a windshield on a 1720CC. We've sold a gazillion of those boats through the years so this is a common request. So I entered "Windshield for my Key West" in a google search and up popped several sources. It was like Emeril the chef. Bam! There it was. The same works for almost anything else as well. Want a bilge pump or a windlass, enter that in a google search and you get countless sources from Amazon to West Marine.

Then another request for Garmin customer service. Guess what I entered in google? "Garmin customer support" and again, Bam! I got this....

Garmin Ltd.
Technology company
Garmin Ltd. is an American multinational technology company founded by Gary Burrell and Min Kao in 1989 in Lenexa, Kansas, United States, with headquarters located in Schaffhausen, Switzerland and Olathe, Kansas. Wikipedia
Headquarters: Canton of Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Customer service: 1 (913) 397-8200
Stock price: GRMN (NASDAQ) $50.60 +0.30 (+0.60%)
Jul 17, 4:00 PM EDT - Disclaimer
Founded: October 1989, Lenexa, KS
CEO: Clifton A. Pemble
Subsidiaries: Navigon, DeLorme, Garmin International, Inc, MORE
Founders: Min Kao, Gary Burrell

I wrapped up the day with a final request for keys to fit latches on a boat, whether it be a storage box or the console. Best source for those that I've found is at this link.

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/

Not only do they have keys to fit most locks on a Key West Boat, they have keys to fit the locks on your buddy's boat too. As well as almost any conceivable piece of hardware you could imagine on a boat.

Beats the heck out of being frustrated trying to get our parts manager on the phone.

Please send all inquiries to tom@keywestboats.com
Tom Marlowe
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Re: Where to find hardware for my Key West?

PostPosted by Pinecrestjim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 am

Tom, it amazes me how many people will ask someone else for information that they can much more quickly obtain thru the technology available today, and information that is much more concise and to the point. Maybe some just don't have a clue as in the same people who don't know how to perform simple troubleshooting. Then again, it just gives those of us who do lift our own fingers a bit of an edge in this dog eat dog world.

And, I learned something from your post. I now know where the name "Garmin" came from....
Jim
2002 KW 1720 CC / Yamaha 90 TLRA
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUu9ut-8musIy1abkOGQJcA
Pinecrestjim

Location: Primarily Biscayne Bay, Florida Bay and Everglades National Park

PostPosted by zload » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Tom Marlowe wrote: So I entered "Windshield for my Key West" in a google search and up popped several sources.

The GoogleFu is strong with this one :thumbsup:

(Google-fu is defined as "skill in using search engines (especially Google) to quickly find useful information on the Internet." It is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek reference to kung-fu, which is generally perceived as requiring a high degree of skill to master in the western hemisphere.)
2008 196 Bay Reef, Garmin 740s, M-K Riptide SP70 with iPilot
150 Yamaha
zload

PostPosted by iBrent » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

I couldn't find the TH Marine shark eye LED nav lights anywhere. I had to go through the dealer.
2016 211DC Slate Gray
F200xb
iBrent
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

PostPosted by Tyler-BoatersLanding » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm

From what I've seen with Garmin customer support those people really know their stuff. I hate to tell people they should call someone else if they need help. It just doesn't feel like the right answer since I'd love to help. If something isn't right with your garmin though, call them, and they should be able to assist you a lot more.

I was putting a boat name on a customers boat and he brought up that his garmin wasn't reading depths as well as it should, if I remember right he was losing the depth reading in shallow water. I can set up waypoints and things like that, but when it comes to adjusting settings to get it working correctly I have no idea. I called up Garmin and got this really helpful lady. I told her the problem and she knew exactly where to start. She even walked me through every single screen telling me how to navigate through the menus to get to the setting I needed to change.
Boater's Landing
"Delivering the Dream"
Tyler-BoatersLanding
Dealer
Dealer

Return to Repairs, Rebuilds, and Customizations