HTML Generator Sample Page

View Active Topics

Taco nav lights

Questions and Improvements on Key West Boats Hulls, Parts, Hardware and Structural Components

Taco nav lights

PostPosted by Salt Shaker » Tue May 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I ordered Taco Marine nav lights part# f38-6700 for my 230 BR rub rail.

It was a very straight forward install. A 3/4 hole drilled into the hull at the rub rail and 2 ss screws dipped in 5200 on each side.

I rain a fish tape on the starboard side from the bow to the light to snage the wire. It took a couple of minutes but it would have been easier to go through the anchor locker. I ended up running the port wire along the fishing pole tubes and then did the same with the starboard. I snaked the port wire around the canister and zip tied it in place. I kept the wiring to the factory nav stick as a back up. I ran all four wires (starboard, port, front light and hot/neutral wires from the switch)together and then soldered them and then put heat shrink on them. I tucked them up out of the way and zip tied them to the fishpole tubes on the starboard side out of the way of the trolling motor wires and the anchor and chain.

The entire job took about 4 hours and that was taking my time.

Salt
2015 BR 230, TeeTop, MinnKota AP80, Suzuki DF300APXW,10' Blade, Lowrance HDS Gen3

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow
Salt Shaker

Re: Taco nav lights

PostPosted by upshootie » Wed May 17, 2017 2:35 am

Garry,
I'd love to see some pics of the instal!
Mark
upshootie

PostPosted by Salt Shaker » Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 am

I'll get some pics up. I really need to start proof reading. The fit initially (the contour of the metal and the rub rail) was a little off. I put them in a pair of channel locks with and slowly closed it slightly and it was a perfect fit. This was prior to the install. About an hour of the install was determining placement.

An item of note, there is very small print on one of the LEDs that reads "do not connect the ground to positive or it will short out the LED". Also on my bow light the wires were reversed (gray/black). The perko base had (gray/black) wires coming out but KW had the gray lead going into the perko black and the black lead going into the perko gray.

I also had forgot how fun fiberglass splinters are...
2015 BR 230, TeeTop, MinnKota AP80, Suzuki DF300APXW,10' Blade, Lowrance HDS Gen3

Salt Shaker

PostPosted by Cameron » Sat May 20, 2017 10:05 am

At least on the BR if running with a TM, this upgrade was worth every penny to me. My BR shipped with the plug-in stem navigation lights. Keeping corrosion out of the socket with all the cast netting was a pain. We were constantly putting dielectric grease on that connector. It was a happy day when I had these installed. Paid $100 for the lights and $200 for the install (bit tired of the DIY projects). I suspect the install is free with purchase of new boat.

They are extremely bright and look clean. If I were Tom, I would just install these as the default navigation lights on all future models.
Cameron

PostPosted by Salt Shaker » Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 pm

Finally had a chance for some pics.

The bow is a pic on the water about 6' above 15' away.

Salt

Salt Shaker

PostPosted by upshootie » Tue May 23, 2017 12:50 am

It looks like I've found my next project! Great job Salt!
upshootie

PostPosted by fisherski » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:12 pm

I have a 2014 230 bay reef I would like to install the taco rub rail lights on as well. I was thinking the taco # F38-6800 might be a good fit, What do you think? Salt shaker you said you had to modify yours a bit. Cameron which model did you have installed? Also, if you wouldn't mind, measuring from the bow to the actual light along the rub rail, what are your measurements?

thanks in advance for the help, kindest regards, bill
fisherski

PostPosted by Salt Shaker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm

I talked to Mike at KW. The other one is the way to go if you have the stainless insert in your rub rail which I do not.

I love not messing with the front stick. I measured 10 times and actually went by the light emitted vs the measured calculaton.

Also this one is a 2 mile light. I'll put a tape on it in the morning.

Salt

Salt Shaker

PostPosted by fisherski » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:18 pm

I see, yea I have stainless insert. thanks for the info. wouldn't mind getting your measurement if you get a chance. Like to compare with what i come up with. After reading your post, and seeing pics, i gotta do this.
fisherski

PostPosted by Salt Shaker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 pm

A little late on measurements. Mine are right at 80" from the center bow along the rub rail to the center of the lights.

Salt

Salt Shaker

Return to Repairs, Rebuilds, and Customizations